Last Updated: 7/8/10
- Population (mid-2008)(1): 11.2 Million
- Annual # of births (2007)(2): 118,000
- Institutional births (2000/7)(2):
- GNI PPP per Capita (US$) 2007(1):
- Infant Mortality rate(1): 5.3
Early Hearing Detection & Intervention Contact:
UNHS Program Information:
In Cuba, targeted NHS was implemented in 1983. Children between 0 and 3 years of age that are classified as being at risk are clinically preselected and then referred to a regional center where they are screened for hearing loss using Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response (BAER or ABR) technology. The centers receive an average of 1,000 to 1,500 infants per year. These centers also provide services to children referred from other sources.
- Pérez-Abalo, M. C. (2005). Early Detection and Intervention of Hearing Impairment in Cuba: Outcome after 20 Years. Revista de Neurología, 41 (9), 556-563.
- Pérez-Abalo, M. C. (2009) Experiencia cubana durante 25 años en el programa de pesquizaje para la detección temprana del déficit auditivo. MEDICC, International Journal of Cuban Health and Medicine, 11 (1), 21-28